Friday, April 6, 2012

Sri Lankan Birdgasms

Sri Lanka Dull Blue Flycatcher
I tried unsuccessfully to snap a decent pic of this endemic badboy but alas he was too quick, so this is the best I could do. I was about 2000 metres up at the time, descending a sacred mountain in the Lankan hill country called Adam's Peak. There is a big footprint-shaped impression at the summit. Buddhists believe its Buddha's footprint, Hindu's believe its Shiva's and Christians believe its Adam's. Recent findings suggest it was actually Manute Bol's. In any case, it was an amazing hike that I started at 2:30 am and reached the peak in time to watch the sunrise with several hundred pilgrims. Beauty.

Yellow-eared Bulbul (endemic)

I also spotted this sexy devil while descending the sacred mountain on shaky knees.

Sri Lanka White Eye (endemic)

I was sitting at the misty summit, around 2500 metres, waiting for the sun to rise when I heard this little beauty particpate in the morning chorus behind me. I turned around and saw him, snapped a quick pic and then he flew off.
Brown-Headed Barbet

A lot of birds in Lanka seemed to have crazy eyes like this badboy in a banana tree. Crazy I tells ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment